The Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Agrochemistry was founded in 1924 as an academic organization called the Agricultural Chemical Society of Japan, with the objective of contributing to scientific, technological and industrial developments.

After steady development of the organization and activities, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology officially recognized the society in 1957, and in 1989 the Agricultural Chemical Society of Japan changed its name to the current Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Agrochemistry.

The organization, consisting of researchers, technologists, students and private organizations in various fields of bioscience and biotechnology, celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2014.

In order to further promote international activities and to realize funds for international conferences, the society widely stresses the importance of agricultural science.